Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The boy from the house with the purple shutters

This is the story about the boy. The one who lived in the house with the purple shutters.

Mother loved purple. She loved purple flowers, purple books, purple dresses and purple shutters.  That's why our house had them. No one else in our little town had purple shutters, and we didn't have many visitors. That was okay though, my mother had my father, and I had her. She'd read to me from her purple books, float around the house in purple dresses, paint the shutters purple and plant beautiful purple flowers in her garden. My father loved her for this, and I adored her for being my mother.

One day, my mother grew very ill, and faded into a place where no one could get her back. When this happened, my father faded as well, and I stopped talking, because the only person worth talking too was my mother, and she was gone. We buried my mother together in a purple coffin and planted purple flowers on her grave. My father and I, my mother's only child, her beloved son, lived quietly in the house with the purple shutters.

When I was 12, I took to caring for my mother's garden. I didn't like to talk much. The doctors my father had taken me too after her death to see what was wrong with me had said it was selective, I could talk when I wanted too. My father begged me and pleaded with me, but soon, he too became quiet. One day as I cared for my mother's garden, a girl walked by. I watched her walk. She seemed so happy and confident and pleased. She skipped a little bit and looked over at me. I tossed a smile at her and she threw one back. I think thats when I started to love her.

She passed me every day for a year and we smiled at each other each day. No words, just smiles. I was okay with that. One day she stopped coming by, and I didn't see her for 3 years. I still went out every day to look for her, but she never came by again. And I continued to not speak, except whisper to the flowers every once in a while.

This continued, until that day she came by again, crying. I saw her now, much older looking. She didn't smile at me. I went over to the gate, although I never had before. She stopped and saw me. I reached out a hand to her and wiped her tears. I touched her hand and spoke for the first time in years.

2 comments:

  1. "One day, my mother grew very ill, and faded into a place where no one could get her back."
    :(
    "I tossed a smile at her and she threw one back."
    Smiley catch? :3
    Selective lack of speaking? That can actually happen, right? Either way, it's very moving.
    So are you gonna keep going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT HAPPENS> I checked. Kids can seem like they're mute, but in reality their vocal chords and everything are fine, and they don't speak either be choice or out of shock. but they still can. ITS TRUE. and probs not. Its like, really melodramatic. >.<

    ReplyDelete