Sunday, July 31, 2011

night time bike ride

I really like riding my bike. I love the way the road disappears under my tires, the feel of my muscles straining to push the pedal around and around. It makes me feel calmer, takes out my aggression, and gives me a sense of control. Generally, on my bike rides, the sun is up, and shining, and I'm on my way to do something productive( aka library trip/thriftshop trip/7/11 run, basically nothing productive.) But tonight I went at night. Because at night, everything is so much more real, and all your senses are heightened. I went with no goal or destination or anything.

Its funny, because in the day, you think everything is more awake and alive and active, and the night is sleepy and creepy, a time for ghosts and things that jump out from behind buildings screaming "BOO!". In reality, night is so much more friendly. Its peaceful, and quiet at first, but don't let that fool you. When you listen carefully, and open your eyes, its so full of life and noises and sights and feelings. The cool air, frogs hopping all over the street, snail trails  in moonlight, shimmering as if to tempt you to follow them. The noises of crickets break the otherwise eerie silence, and make the night welcoming, chirping in a chorus as if to tell all of the silly humans that they don't need our attention to put on a marvelous show.

And then, you look up.You're allowed to do that at night, as the sky is much kinder to your eyes after the sun goes away. The stars will catch your interest, sparkling and twinkling, or shining constantly down on you. Make a wish, look for shapes, shooting stars, fireflies. Then look to the moon.  The moon changes every day, sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes completely gone, sometimes a full, pale, silvery circle hanging n the sky. There's a bunny in the moon, see if you can make it out. Or a man. Use your imagination.

Welcome the night. Its enchanted to meet you.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this- your descriptions are so vivid, fresh, and beautiful. The entire passage was really so enjoyable to read. I'm gonna go sit outside now and absorb life in the dark :)

    ReplyDelete