Thursday, June 23, 2011

outside.present.here.

Today I went outside.

I heard: the rain, dripping off trees, down the drain, on the grass. My sisters talking about lacrosse and blueberries. My neighbors yelling in their garage.

I saw: Towels draped over the railing, the way my dad hates, Wet tress, wet cars, my baby sister with her baby stroller, blonde hair sparkling because of the rain caught in her unbrushed wild strands.

I tasted: Coffee on my tongue from earlier, its sweet, carmel, bitter aftertaste haunting my mouth like an unhappy ghost.

I smelled: wet grass, the smell of a storm, which is dangerous and yet remarkably peaceful, salty beach smells, coffee on my breath, the clean smell of everything that happens after/during rain.

I felt: damp all over, moisture on my skin and clothes. The weave of my chair on my calves and back and shoulders, a stretch in my hip and side, my phone vibrating in my life, pen solid in between three fingers, notebook, flimsy, metal spirals hard, digging grooves into my hand, paper smooth and comforting and safe.


Go outside and really be present.
Write me on of these in the comments!
Love,
hanhan <3

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's kind of late, so instead of going outside I just shoved my head out a window. Hope that's not cheating.



    I heard: the birds squeaking in staccato, three or four different notes, and in the background a frog trilling his slow bass hum. One bird whined repeatedly, as if he didn't like the orchestra, but perhaps he was merely a bad musician.

    I saw: The branches of the dogwood tree under my window in the dark, sprinkled with flowers, white like stars.

    I tasted: My mouth...the roof of it, the edges of my teeth, the inside of my lips, all folded together like a flower...I wonder if I could make that sound like the frog makes, if I tried hard enough.

    I smelled: dampness, like a damp carpet, but more comfortable. A permanent dampness, the type that doesn't shrivel or grow mold, but could stay damp forever if it wasn't for the sun. And that mist in the air, too, like water from a spray bottle.

    I felt: my jeans pressing in on my waist, gravity resting its lightest touch on my head, and the strange and fragile feeling of being in a body, a human body, that might (if I wasn't careful) lose its balance and tumble over the roof, and be jarred out of its fingering hold on my soul.

    ehh, that's enough of being embarrassingly poetic for now ^_^ but I love this post. It really gave me something to think about. Keep writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard: The sprinklers spraying their water in a never-ending circle, the droplets ricocheting off the sides of my house. My cat meowing, purring, whining to be pet. The giggles and shouts of my siblings running around me.

    I saw: The mini windmill in my neighbor's backyard, perfectly motionless in the stagnant air. Birds flying from tree to tree, calling to each other as they dashed about. Bees slowly drifting from one flower to the next.

    I tasted: The ever-present saltiness of the Sound, situated just over the cliff. The remains of watermelon, its juice still sitting on my tongue.

    I smelled: Freshly mown grass, clumps of it still laying around from this morning. The beach, its distinct scent floating on the air, promising salty water and comfortable sand. Barbecue sauce, as the neighbors prepare their dinner.

    I felt: The grass between my toes, itchy, ticklish, and comfortable all at the same time. The oppressive humidity, bearing down on me and numbing my energy into exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete