Monday, December 12, 2011

this has been a rant

Hello lovelies! Today I'd like  to abandon any ideas of eloquence and rant about something. So here goes.

I really like clothes. And fashion. I'm that person who reads all those horribly written articles for pictures and tips and summaries of shows.  I'm the person who says, OH, that color is SO IN this year(tangerine tango is actually the color in so you'll know if i'm lying). I may dress pretty boring but I  still love crazy stuff. ANYWAY the issue I'm having is with everything in the fashion and beauty industry being so hard on women!

Okay, so you need us to buy your products. But is there another way to do that than bashing us for not being thin enough or pretty enough or having too short hair? Every other blog post or article talks about how "no one will know how many pieces of pumpkin pie you ate!" Why does it matter how much pie I eat? Why should I limit myself to fit into your ugly and unflattering dress, and then feel bad when I don't? I understand that we buy the dress, and we should be healthy, but the general rule of thumb for "good enough" to other women is being a size 4 or under, while statistics say that that most women in America are on average a size 12.

I get that thats a little bit...sad? that we've let ourselves grow so much. But still. Rather than continually marketing clothes that seriously compliment no existing human bodies, why are we not making pretty clothes for people who are actually self-conscious about their bodies without being terrible to them. All clothes marketed to women are said to "hide an unflattering tummy" or "hid your arms" "hide too big calves" "camouflage uneven cleavage" WHY ARE WE ENCOURAGED TO HIDE?

Look, not all people look like Victoria Secret Models(who, by the way, don't actually eat. They sometimes drink protein shakes. sometimes.). People are all differently beautiful, each in their unique way and they should not be encouraged to hide things as if they are not good enough. My midsection holds most of the organs keeping me alive, why should I care if my pie settles there? Would the extra holiday fat offend you?

Teach people to accept who they are. Make clothes that make people comfortable with who they are. Not clothes that make us uncomfortable and upset. rant ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment